A 41-year-old Kamloops man, Kristopher Teichrieb, will spend three years, and eight months behind bars, after he pleaded guilty in connection to a 2016 beating that left a Savona teenager in a coma.
The crown and the defense agreed to a seven year prison term, minus time served, earlier this morning.
Teichrieb has spent just over two years in pre-trial custody.
He was charged with attempted murder and assault with a weapon, after the early morning beating of then 18-year-old Jessie Simpson in June 2016.
“The charge of attempted requires proof beyond a reasonable doubt of an actual intention to kill,” said Crown Counsel Wendy Stephen, when asked why the attempted murder charge was stayed.
“And these circumstances are such that there was no actual eyewitness to the crime.”
Defense lawyer Jordan Watt says it’s time to move on.
He’s an emotional guy and he’s a remorseful guy,” Watt said. “I don’t you’ll ever say you’re happy about Mr. Simpson being in the state he is, or Mr. Teichrieb receiving a seven year sentence.”
“This is a tragic case.”
“Sorrow, sadness, and pain will be my story,” Simpson’s mother told the court today, October 23.
The court heard that Simpson is in a long term care facility with minimum chance of recovery and requires 24/7 care.