A warning from Kamloops firefighters after a few fires that could have easily resulted in fatalities.
Life Safety Coordinator Lyle Weninger says they responded to three fires over the past two weeks. Two of these incidents were from smoking materials being discarded in planters.
“Which seems like it’s just dirt, but a lot of times its peat moss and stuff, and it’ll smolder for a few days and then start a fire,” Weninger said.
“It’s good they’re smoking outside, but then keep an ashtray or a bucket of sand or water outside so you discard the cigarette safely.”
In one case, there were no working smoke alarms in the residence, and the occupant was alerted by someone passing by.
Weninger also urges people to smoke only when they are alert, and not when they’re on medication or sleepy.
He’s also reminding people to never smoke near anyone who uses medical oxygen.