UPDATE: 9:55 a.m.
Barriere First Responders says five people are in serious but stable condition after being poisoned by carbon monoxide in their home this morning.
“Get those alarms checked most new smoke detectors can check for both,” Barriere First Responders says on its Facebook page.
Shannon Miller with BC Emergency Health Services says crews were called to reports of people who were unconscious in the home, at about 7:30 a.m.
“The first crew arrived within 10 minutes and noted carbon monoxide in the home,” Miller says.
“Two patients were then airlifted from Barriere to Kamloops, and three patients were transported by ground to Kamloops. Five patients have now made their way to Vancouver by air ambulance.”
ORIGINAL: 9:15 a.m.
A family in Barriere has been air lifted to hospital after being exposed to a high level of carbon monoxide in their home.
Chief of the Barriere Fire Department Ashley Wohlgemuth says first responders were called to the home at about 7:30 a.m. The family was rushed to Kamloops Airport this morning and is being flown to Vancouver.
“At this time we don’t have a lot of details that we can give out. We have a family who had a high level of carbon monoxide in their home, and they’ll be air lifted to Vancouver for further checking up.”
Wohlgemuth couldn’t comment on the family’s health conditions nor on exactly how many people have been affected.
She did say the incident is limited to only one home and there’s no further public health risk.
BCEHS #paramedics are treating and transporting five patients to Vancouver by air ambulance this morning following a carbon monoxide poisoning in a residence in #Barriere. The patients are in serious, but stable condition. #PatientCare pic.twitter.com/kHogcnrCgv
— Emerg Health Services (@BC_EHS) December 6, 2018